Monday, October 09, 2017

Quilter's Recipe Box, Twisted Star alternate for Split Half Square Triangle

Happy Monday!  I'm running a little behind today, but I made it!  Today's block is another way of using the Split Half Square Triangle unit - the block is Twisted Star.

This one is quick and easy to make, so if you struggled a little making the Card Trick block, don't worry, this one will be a piece of cake for you.

I used 3 colors and a background fabric for this block.  Color 1 - cut a 3 1/2 inch square.  Color 2 - cut two 3 7/8 inch squares, then cut those in half for half square triangle units.  Color 3 - cut one 4 1/4 inch square, then cut in half diagonally both ways for quarter square triangle units.  Background - cut one 4 1/4 inch square, then cut in half diagonally both ways for quarter square triangle units; cut four 3 1/2 inch squares.

Start by sewing your Color 3 and Background quarter square triangle units together.  Place them right sides together with the 90 degree corner at the bottom and the Color 3 triangle on the top.  Sew from the point toward the corner.  (If your machine wants to pull the point down into the throat plate you can flip the triangles and sew from the corner to the point with the background piece on the top)

Press to the darker color and trim the dog ears off.  Sew these units to the Color 2 half square triangle units to complete your split half square triangles.
Pretty!  And they match my ironing board cover :)  Trim those dog ears off now!

Arrange not like this!  See my error?  I corrected that as I sewed my rows together, but didn't notice when I took the picture!

And the finished block - easy, right?

Don't forget, today is the last day to download my I Saw Three Ships row for Christmas Caroling Row Along, as well as the last day to enter to win two LED sewing machine lights!  Click the picture below to go to the blog post where you can do those two things!



I also want to say welcome to all those who may have just subscribed to my newsletter!  Make sure you check out the link at the top of the page to download all the Quilter's Recipe Box patterns - I hope you enjoy this block of the month series.  If you've been following along, can you take a minute and let me know if there is something you would be interested in learning for next year?  I'm thinking of doing a Monthly Mini Monday - is that something you would enjoy?  The plan would be to do one step a week and at the end of the month have a cute mini quilt finished.  I love mini quilts and would enjoy sharing some tips and ideas for them.  If you have any other ideas, please let me know as well - I'd love to hear your opinions!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Very cool block! Awesome colors! Enjoy your day!!